May is National Melanoma Awareness Month, and Elamar's Beauty Brainiacs are here to educate you on “being sun savvy”…
Q: What is SPF?
SPF is the sun protection factor rating for sunscreens. When purchasing a sunscreen, refer to the chart above to select the right SPF level for your skin tone!
Q: What's the difference between physical & chemical sunscreens?
Physical sunscreens contain ‘-oxide' ingredients, such as zinc oxide & titanium dioxide. This type of sunscreen blocks all UV rays from hitting the skin. On the other hand, chemical sunscreens allow UV rays to hit the skin while the sunscreen transforms the rays into non-damaging wavelengths of light & heat. Chemical sunscreens contain ingredients like Avobenzone, Octinoxate, Helioplex, and Parasol 1789 to name a few. Both chemical and physical sunscreens protect the skin from the sun's damaging UVA & UVB rays– however the best coverage comes from a physical/chemical sunscreen blend. Look for products containing both physical and chemical sunscreen ingredients to ensure that you never see a sunspot, sunburn, or wrinkle!
Q: What's the difference between UVA & UVB rays?
UVA rays age the skin by promoting sunspots and wrinkles– remember ‘A' is for AGING. UVB rays burn the skin, so ‘B' is for BURNING. To protect from both UVA & UVB rays, you need a sunscreen labeled ‘broad spectrum'.
BB's Golden Rules of Sunscreen
- use sunscreen with an SPF of 30 to 50 (this blocks 97% of UV)
- use broad spectrum sunscreens for protection against UVA & UVB rays
- choose products with a blend of chemical & physical sunscreen ingredients
- apply sunscreen to all exposed areas (don’t forget lips and ears)
- apply sunscreen everyday – even on cloudy days
- reapply sunscreen every 2 hours
- wear sunscreen on arms, hands, and face while driving
- schedule a yearly melanoma screening with your doctor
There you have it, beach bums! We hope you've enjoyed this crash course on sun care in honor of Melanoma Awareness Month. If you have any questions regarding your sunscreen or sun care in general, don't be afraid to leave us a comment below!
xoxo The Beauty Brainiacs